Sunday, December 19, 2010

Merry Christmas

Classic residential design knows no minimum size at the studio of John Tackett Design.  This new villa, currently in the planning stage for Miami-Dade County, Florida, is less than 2,000 square feet.  My new houses are not reproductions of specific traditional buildings, but a particular historic model might be an inspiration for an element of the new design;  it might be the general massing and scale, or it might be a particular feature such as the entrance that is reinterpreted for the new house.  Proportion and harmony of materials are two factors missing from so many of today's new houses, so I strive to achieve perfection in those two areas, especially.  And my houses are not just facades, but all elevations (i.e., all sides of the house) are important and each hold their own, visually.  Another important feature is the floor plan, logical in progression and spatially interesting, but meeting contemporary needs.

One of the inspirations for this free-standing single family home is the Pavillion Saint-Vigor by Gabriel in the village of Viroflay (near Versailles), France, built circa 1770.  But this house will be fully equipped for today's technology and LEED certified, environmentally responsible, and a healthy, livable home.  It will be suitable for even the most devoted classicist.

The drawing currently used for the banner was the cover for last year's holiday card, and the drawing above is this year's card.  Best wishes for all my readers, and I send hopes for peace and a very merry Christmas to all.

5 comments:

  1. I'm an architectural optimist. I think great houses shouldn't take millions; that every house should have some delights inside and out. I'm encouraged by your 2000 square footer. Hope it doesn't have to be gold plated. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by on my blog from time to time. I look forward to reading more of yours, and send you best wishes for the Season and the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful - agree with you on all fronts - exactly what I tried to do with our house renovation. And your drawing is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog you have. I would like to add a link to it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pleasure to read of your architectural philosophy, one that I share.
    And a Merry Christmas to you and yours, and a Happy Boxing Day, too. Reggie

    ReplyDelete

Your interest in this blog is appreciated. Other commitments might prevent an immediate response to your comments or questions. That does not lessen the value of the blog reader's input, however. Only comments relating to the current post are eligible for publication; non-relevant comments and promotional references will be deleted. Contact me at johnjtackett@gmail.com regarding other questions. Anonymous comments cannot be accepted.